Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Caroline gets a shout out from Booklist

Ya hoo!  I have an essay coming out  in a new anthology FEED ME, edited by the wonderful Harriet Brown, and my essay, THE GRIEF DIET got a really nice shout out from Booklist, who called it "one of the most moving essays in the collection." It's about a time in my life when, rather than grieve over the death of a loved one, I hurled myself into a toxic relationship with a man who would not let me eat. I was 95 pounds and a size 3 and my friends and family were all very worried, but every night I would endure comments like, "God, did you have to have lunch? Wasn't breakfast big enough for you?" all said in a soft, loving tone of voice that made me feel like Ingrid Bergman in Gaslight. I couldn't leave because that would mean I would have to grieve, so I stayed for two years before one pivotal event broke the evil spell and I was able to leave (and grieve and grieve and grieve.) And then a few years afterwards, I met my husband, who on our first date, insisted, to my astonishment and delight, that I try two desserts.

3 comments:

Clea Simon said...

Yay! I can't wait to read it - and I'm glad you got something good out of that awful, awful relationship. And yay for Jeff (and for dessert, too).

Unknown said...

Congrats, Caroline! I can't wait to read it! (And I'm very glad you got out of that relationship.)

Gina Sorell said...

Congrats Caroline!!!!

Celebrate with 3 desserts :)